Tuesday, October 5, 2010

An October Afternoon...


I didn't get a chance to really celebrate World Card Making Day (one card just wasn't enough!) so I thought I'd keep the party going with the five sketch challenges going on over at Verve. I've been fortunate enough to have won a lot of goodies over the past year, but alas, I never seem to get around to using them! So, as an extra challenge, I wanted to see if I could  create five cards using one collection. And, as it's a rainy, dreary day here in the big city, what better way to pass an afternoon, than with October Afternoon's Thrift Shop collection, one of my Gallery Idol prizes. I hope you think it was an afternoon well spent!


*Unless otherwise noted, all patterned paper, rub-ons, stickers, and labels are from October Afternoon's Thrift Shop Collection. All card stock is Stampin' Up! "Spilling the Beans" has been omitted for this post, but if you'd like step-by-step instructions, please leave a comment with your request!

Creating Charm - VSWCMD1

I wanted to try something outside of my usual style, and I used a color combo I don't normally put together, yellow and black. I thought it made for a dramatic card. The center element is actually salvaged from a paper shopping bag I got at a stamp store a while back.
HAPPY BEANS:
Accents: Black Rhinestones (generic); Just Blossoms Paper Flowers (Close to My Heart); Antique Brad (CTMH)
Fibers: Black Grosgrain Ribbon (generic)






Remember This - VSWCMD2

I thought I would  make a soft and pretty card with this sketch. I switched the ribbon bow from the top to the bottom of the center element.
HAPPY BEANS:
Accents: Green Brads (Basic Gray); Petal Pink Liquid Pearls (Ranger)
Fibers: Green Satin Ribbon (Kate's Paperie)

Re*mem*ber - VSWCMD3

This was a happy accident card. When I turned the label on its side, I at first had no intention of it being a vase. But, when I found the pretty flowers in my stash, I thought it would make for the suggestion of a vase of blooms. I loved the definition sticker and thought this could be used as a simple sympathy card.
HAPPY BEANS
Accents: Paper Flowers (Archivers); Black Rhinestones (generic)
Fibers: Black Grosgrain Ribbon (generic)




Remember This Very Moment - VSWCMD4

I actually made this card last because the sketch had me stumped just a little. But, once I finished, this turned out to be my favorite.
HAPPY BEANS:
Accents: Brads (generic)
Fibers: Pure Poppy Stitched Grosgrain (Papertrey Ink)


You & Me - VSWCMD5

I had fun with this sketch trying to figure out how to use the various goodies from the collection fit. I thought the bird added just the right focal point, but I may have overdone it. I love the ticket trend that's so hot right now and this is the first time I've put it to use. 
HAPPY BEANS:
Tools: Extra Large Bird Punch (Stampin' Up!)
Fibers: Marina Mist Taffeta (SU!)


14 comments:

Tasha said...

Wow all of these are fantastic, super use of colours and prints and fabulous designs
love tasha xx

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Regina these are stunning! Not only was your day well spent, you've given the rest of us some things to try on our next rainy day! Thanks for bringing 'sunshine' into our creative minds. TFS

Carla said...

Diane couldn't of said it better. I can't wait to play with these sketches. Your cards are beautiful and I love those patterns and designs. So fabulous!!! Hugs,

Linda Callahan said...

Wow you sure know how to make the most of an afternoon! These are beautiful and the fact that you did them all in one day just blows me away - incredible!

Patti MacLeith said...

Wow, all different and all lovely, Regina!

Cards by Gina said...

These cards are phenomenal! An afternoon very well spent! Absolutely gorgeous!

Tanya said...

These are all gorgeous! I love that paper. Fantastic use of all the sketches!

Amy Sheffer said...

How fabulous these are! What a great set!

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Wow, these are all so fabulous! Perfectly accented and embellished! Love them all! Thanks for playing along in our challenges!

Susan Mangum said...

You are the true Miracle Worker, mother of a 3 yr. old who can make 5 GORGEOUS cards in one day! Please, I need a tutorial. Seriously, these are beautiful, and I loved the idea of turning the die on its end for a vase, how clever. xoxoxo

Michellem said...

THANKS for the inspiring post! LOVE how you interpreted each of these sketches. I'd find a favorite and then the next one would be my favorite, etc. LOVE them all!

Nicole said...

These are all gorgeous, and this is my favorite paper line for card making these days! What a great October Afternoon (and great play on the title)!!

Laurie said...

These cards are ALL fabulous! WOW!! Thanks for your comment on my blog! So glad to have found you!

Megan said...

Lovely work!! These are super pretty!!